All respondents who take the GWI survey are asked how frequently they engage with various forms of social media.
Based on their responses to these questions, individuals are classified into the following segments:
- Brand-Engaged Networkers – follow brands they like or are thinking of buying from, and have done at least two of the following in the last month: asked a question to a brand on a social network, clicked on a promoted or sponsored post; interacted with a brand on a messaging service or app, liked or followed a brand on a social network, shared a brand’s post on a social network, visited a brand’s social network page
- Celeb-Fan Networkers – use social media to follow celebrities/celeb news and meet at least two of the following criteria: follow actors, comedians, singers, sports stars or TV presenters, have visited a celebrity’s Instagram page in the last month, have visited a celebrity’s Twitter feed in the last month, have Tweeted/reTweeted a celebrity in the last month
- Entertainment Networkers – use social media to find entertaining content and follow at least one of the following on social media: singers, comedians, actors
- Multi-Networkers – have engaged with/contributed to at least five social networks in the last month
- News Networkers – use social media to stay up-to-date with current events and meet at least one of the following criteria: follow journalists or news/media organizations, have read an article or news story on Facebook in the last month, have read a news story on Twitter in the past month
- Non-Facebookers – do not have an account on Facebook, Messenger, Instagram or WhatsApp and have not used/visited any of the four apps/services in the past month, but do have an account on at least one other social network
- Non-Networkers – do not have a social media account and have not visited/used a social network in the last month via any device
- Passive Networkers – use social media for the following reasons: to fill up spare time, because their friends use them; or say they have logged into two of the following three services in the last month without commenting on or posting anything themselves: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram
- Personal Sharers – use social media for at least two of the following reasons: to share their opinion, to share details of their daily lives, to share photos or videos; or have done two of the following on Facebook in the last month: uploaded and shared photos, uploaded and shared videos, commented about a TV show they are watching, commented about a sports event they are watching, updated their profile status or posted a comment about what they are doing; or have done two of the following on Twitter in the last month: Tweeted a comment about their daily life, Tweeted a photo or video link, Tweeted about a TV show they are watching, Tweeted about a sports event they are watching, Tweeted about an event they are at; or have done at least one of the following on Instagram in the last month: uploaded a photo, uploaded a video
- Social Commerce Fans – meet at least two of the following criteria: researching products is one of their motivations for using social media, they cite social networks or micro-blogs as places they go to for more information about products/ services, they say a “buy button” would make them more likely to purchase something online.
- Social Second-Screeners – say that they use social networks or chat to friends as they second-screen
- Work-Networkers – meet at least two of the following criteria: use social media to network for work, to follow entrepreneurs/business people or contacts relevant to their work on social media
You can also find these explanations in the below document: